“The C.A.S.T. for Kids event at O’Neill Forebay was some of the greatest times I have had. I don’t know who got more out of it, us or the kids!” – Boat Captain, O’Neill ForebayRegister as Participant Register as Volunteer Register as Boat Captain
This is a C.A.S.T. for Kids event designed to provide children with disabilities, ages 7 – 17, the opportunity to enjoy a quality outdoor recreational experience through the sport of fishing. Take to the water with C.A.S.T. for an unforgettable morning of fishing and boating!
Event LocationO'Neill Forebay
Los Banos, California (map)
See More About This Event!
Read About Past Events
2016 Event Recap:
It definitely was a very nice weather day at the Forebay. Experienced volunteers setup their particular areas, including registration, readying rods & reels, and tackle boxes for the kids, and serving breakfast, which included a wide assortment of burritos. Then the boaters and kids were matched up for their morning of fishing and time on the water. Throughout the morning the children and their families enjoyed music, activities with Fish & Wildlife, the VFW’s Flag Ceremony and then lunch and awards. We had 22 awesome kids participate in the event, with 10 boaters and a pontoon boat, and 56 volunteers.
2013 Event Report & Stories:
- There were more than double the amount of children participants.
- An observing boater saw the C.A.S.T. event and volunteered himself and his boat to take some of the waiting children out. He truly enjoyed the event and plans to participate again the following year.
- One of the 16 year old girl participants caught a huge fish during her first time ever fishing.
- It was helpful having the volunteers from Los Banos High School because they were familiar with putting together fishing equipment and assembled all the poles.
- One of the boater’s younger sons was a Boy Scout member and was able to be a fishing buddy for one of the participants and teach him how to fish. It was great to see younger children experience the joy of helping the children with disabilities.
Thanks to our Event Sponsors
California Department of Water Resources, California State Parks, California Department of Fish and Wildlife, California Department of Boating and Waterways, California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, Central California Irrigation District, RPAC- Almond Handler & Processor, Ranchwood, Rotary International – Los Banos Rotary Club, San Luis & Delta-Mendota Water Authority, San Joaquin River Water Authority, Let’s Move Outside, U.S. Department of the Interior’s Bureau of Reclamation, Take Pride in America, Save Mart Supermarkets, Zebco, Plano Tackle Systems, Los Banos High School, Los Banos Junior High School, Los Banos Unified School District, Miano Elementary School, Firebaugh Middle School, YMRC