“Getting more kids fishing, more often”, established in 1996, with a focus on urban youth and teaching angling and environmental stewardship.
Volunteer Find an Event Donate to This Program
The Fishing Kids Program was established in 1996 and is built around the slogan “Getting more kids fishing, more often”. Events are designed to create and provide more fishing opportunities for urban youth, ages 5-14. Each event hosts approximately 300-800 children and for a minimal entry fee each participant receives a Fishing Kids t-shirt, rod & reel to keep! The kids fish in groups on-shore for up to 60 minutes receiving instruction by experienced anglers on angling techniques and environmental stewardship. The parents are encouraged to participate with their children and prior to each fishing session each group receives a tutorial on water safety.
Goals of the Fishing Kids Program
- Provide a meaningful and enjoyable fishing opportunity to local youth
- Promote fishing as an alternative leisure activity
- Offer education elements such as angler ethics, fish identification, and water safety to local youth
- Develop skills that provide a lifelong hobby
Fishing Kids events are held annually. Search our event map to find an event near you.
Volunteers are critical to the success of every event. Before event day volunteers may join the Planning Committee and help with organizing various pieces of the event. Event day is a favorite, as volunteers set up the event, run registration, pass out event gear, fisherman volunteer their fishing experience, and more. The local community comes together to make the event a success.
Check out event photos from our past events. Looking for photos from your recent event? You can:
- Find your event on the event map
- Scroll down and find the “View All Event Photos” button – it will take you directly to all the past years of that event.
- Or, go to our Flickr Collection of Photo Galleries and follow these instructions (for those not familiar with or new to Flickr)
- Click on “Collections” (at the top of the page, under the ‘Your photostream’ title),
- Scroll until you find your event (listed under the body of water (lake, reservoir, etc)).
- The photos for each event is listed under the body of water and year (called a ‘set’). All the years (sets) for an event are grouped into a ‘collection’.